Highland Medical Breast Surgery cares for patients with an emphasis on cancer prevention, early detection and personalized service. Our expert, experienced physicians and specialists practice to nationally recognized standards and guidelines, providing the same level of first-class academic institution cancer care-only close to home.
Our highly trained staff practice to nationally recognized standards and guidelines and offer the same level of academic institution cancer care to patients, using the latest cutting-edge treatment options and technology. Individualized treatment plans may include surgical or non-surgical procedures, radiation therapy, and medical oncology.
Patients of Highland Medical Breast Surgery are seen at The Breast Center at Nyack Hospital, which is located in the Union State Bank Cancer Center at the Hospital. Valet parking is available. The Breast Center has received accreditation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a program administered by the American College of Surgeons. Accreditation by the NAPBC is only given to those centers that provide the highest level of quality breast care as determined by a voluntary and rigorous evaluation and review of their performance. In addition, The Breast Center has been designated as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR). The Center received this designation by receiving accreditation in all of the accreditation programs that the ACR offers—mammography, stereotactic breast biopsy, breast ultrasound and ultrasound-guided breast biopsy. Only a small percentage of imaging centers receive this designation of excellence.
Click here for more information about The Breast Center at Nyack Hospital.
- A Breast Health Navigator, who helps guide newly diagnosed breast cancer patients through the diagnostic, treatment, support and education process.
- 3D Mammography, the gold standard for early detection of breast cancer, clinically proven to detect 41% more invasive breast cancers and abnormalities. Our 3D Tomosynthesis System provides a superior mammogram for all breast types and densities at the lowest possible radiation dose.
- Image-guided interventional breast biopsy procedures, recognized by the American College of Radiology (ACR) as a Center of Excellence.
- Breast MRI, a highly sensitive exam which expands our ability to diagnose early-stage breast cancers that may not be visible on mammography or ultrasound.
- Oncoplastic Surgery, coordinated breast cancer surgery with breast oncologic surgeons and plastic surgeons, who use the latest oncologic and reconstruction techniques for best possible survival and cosmetic outcomes.
- Comfortable, accurate and precise mass detection, our Low Dose Radioactive Seed Localization Program is a surgical procedure used for nonpalpable breast lesions. This advanced technique involves the implantation of a self-enclosed, low-energy "seed" (the size of a grain of rice) as a marker to pinpoint the precise location of a tumor or abnormal breast tissue. This is more comfortable for the patient and allows precise surgery for the removal of the lesion. We are the only hospital-based Breast Surgery practice in the area offering this innovative program.
- A Clinical Genetics Program, offering Comprehensive Cancer Risk Assessment, Cancer Genetic Counseling and Predictive Genetic Testing for women at increased risk of developing breast cancer due to a personal and/or family history of breast and colon cancer, genetic disposition or previous medical history.
- Full on-site treatment services, including multi-disciplinary cancer treatment planning conference, biopsy capability with all modalities (ultrasound, mammography or MRI), radiation therapy, medical oncology and plastic surgeons dedicated to breast reconstruction.
- Support groups and education programs, including partnerships with Gilda’s Club and Kula for Karma (therapeutic yoga classes).
- Bone density studies to determine the risk for developing osteoporosis (disease resulting in bone fractures).